Friday, March 30, 2007

I MET LAURA BENNETT!!!

(Photo courtesy of ProjectRunway.com)

I met Laura Bennett! O.K. – if I were to be totally honest, I let my sister do the dirty work of accosting her in the airport and then came along after the deed was done. Never mind the fact that I was squealing silently (yes – such a thing can be accomplished) and almost jumping up and down when I first spotted her standing across the aisle from us. And forget about turning 40! The 18 year old in me is alive and well!

It was especially cool because Donna and I had JUST been talking about her. It was during one of our all day pajama sessions with the Food Network. Is it chemo's way of seasoning all real food to taste like metal or the new appeal of the sofa that has led to Donna’s addiction with FN? We aren’t sure, but I did tease her more than once about being masochistic.

The fact that I know who Laura Bennett is tells you something about me. Yes, I am a Project Runway freak. You may, a) get what I am talking about and squeal silently (or aloud), b) shake your head in disappointment at my obvious lack of class or c) be totally clueless. If you don’t know what I am talking about, I owe you at least that.

Project Runway is a show where “wanna be” designers compete in different challenges for the title of Top Designer and the chance to start their own label. For example, one of the challenges required the designers to make their design out of recycled products. I am willing to put up with the reality show “ick” to witness the thing I never grow tired of; one challenge having as many creative and unique outcomes as there are people involved.

I have to admit that in the end, the ‘reality’ part won out. At the airport, I told Laura Bennett that we had been cheering her on to win and she pumped her arm triumphantly. You see what I love about Laura Bennett, her designs aside, is her indomitable spirit. Just like my sister Donna who marched right up to her to introduce herself. And they say we gravitate towards the people whose traits we want to exhibit. I guess that tells you something else about me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So tell us the details! What airport? was she coming or going? Family with her? What did talk about?

Carrie said...

Her face looks familiar.... oh, yeah! Laura Bennett! HeeHee. Good job for you guys. I never have the confidence to go up and introduce myself. I just act all blaise, and miss the opportunity. Glad you and your sister had a good time getting together!

Anonymous said...

Angela ~

Laura Burman here. I forgot my blog name that I signed up with to comment on your sisters blog that time:) Oops. So here I am as 'anonymous' for today and screaming silently with you for meeting Laura Bennett. I don't normally watch PR but I was visiting my mom over a break when I saw the show with Laura on it. I loved her attitude and spirit. Very cool that you got to meet her!