Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My Cup of Tea


There is a legend that says the Chinese Emperor Shen Nung, the Divine Cultivator, discovered tea accidentally when he was boiling water under the shade of a wild tea tree. A few of the leaves dropped into his pot, tinting the water and he drank the resulting infusion. Immediately, he was overwhelmed with a sense of well-being. If only it were that easy.

On Sunday, our pastor prayed for a person facing a difficult doctor’s appointment. In his prayer he said, “Lord, that is an appointment that none of us would want to be called to, but it’s an appointment You may call us to.” At that moment in prayer, I had an appointment with Lectio Divina.

Lectio Divina is a very ancient art practiced by Christians. It is a slow, contemplative praying of the Scriptures which enables the Bible, the Word of God, to become a means of union with God – not unlike brewing tea. The same excerpt from scripture steeps several times in the vessel of the heart. The Holy Spirit then draws forth the flavor of one particular word or phrase to speak directly into the life of an individual. Its true intent is to cultivate the ability to drink deeply of the cup of Christ and to hear “with the ear of our hearts.” On Sunday morning, I was surprised to find that I am not totally deaf.

You see, there has been something collecting in my heart over the past few months. The first bits settled when my sister’s cancer returned. Further deposits were made with each new challenge – a blood transfusion here, a debilitating fever there – a heap of dried matter littering the chambers. My own set of health issues compounded the effect and finally, the news of our precious 8-year-old niece’s terminal illness threatened to stop it up for good.

Yet something happened that morning. Pure, hot truth poured into me, the words “…it’s an appointment You may call us to” steeping the bits slowly. That which had collected in the vessel of my heart, the bitter and potentially lethal remnants, began to infuse the grace I was experiencing with a particular quality. God was brewing a tea with the tender leafs of my suffering and the sufferings of those around me. Would I trust Him with it?

A traditional tea master is implicitly trusted with the fine art of nurturing a tea plant. This is quite an involved task especially because all tea comes from one kind of plant.* A master knows when to pluck and when to wither. A master knows that differences in climate, soil, temperature and moisture will yield very different, yet equally significant teas. Without the Master, my own precious harvest threatens to become dry dust or an over-steeped sludge served up in the cup of a broken world. Or maybe even worse, a saccharin-laden mixture that covers up the honest and full flavor of the cup that is mine.

Jesus had a cup placed before Him. He never asked for a different cup – only that He would not have to drink the dregs. "Abba, Father," he said, "everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what You will." Because of His trust in the Tea Master, we are able to experience the full flavor of grace.

We have a new teahouse in Traverse City. It is called Serenity and is located on Front Street across from the State Theater. You can choose to sit cross-legged in the sunlit windowsill, slowly sipping away at an iced drink while watching the activity on Front Street (this is the favored perch of the teen-aged clientele). Or you may choose to curl up on a comfy sofa with a steaming cup while reading a book on the history of tea making. The folks at Serenity know that there are as many ways of appreciating tea as there are cultures to appreciate it.

I’m learning to appreciate tea. I watch the light refracting through the infused water and think of the very sunlight that withered the leaf. I remind myself to breath in the aroma that holds all knowledge of its origin. I let my tongue roll over the flavor, tasting each nuance of the soil it was nurtured in. I let the warmth pour through me. I am learning to appreciate that the hardships endured and the tender nurturing received lend character and, in the hands of the Master, are one in the same.

Wars have been fought over tea. Ceremonies celebrate it. So precious was the secret of tea in China that England sent spies into the country to attempt to discover the secret of their process. The truth is there is still a war being fought over tea. It wants to do away with the ceremony and steal the secret. It does not want us to know how precious we are to the Tea Master and that every day He is calling us to an appointment…

“Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, and they all drank from it.”

What is your cup of tea?

*( All true tea comes from the same type of plant, an Asian evergreen known as Camellia sinensis. Herbals are not technically teas, but Tisanes.)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful message, beautifully written. Many should read it.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Excellent blog AJ. Maybe even the best you've ever written. First let me say that while you may have been surprised to learn that you weren't "totally deaf," anyone who really knows you isn't.

Anyway, it seems as though we've both gone through similar experiences of late. As I wrote in my "Post Easter" blog, I'd been felling very empty since the beginning of the year. My father's long illness along with his extremely negative attitude his last few months drained me. That coupled with my spiritual life being nearly non-existant isn't exactly a recipe for an "abundant life." So when he passed away....well I just felt lost. Ironically, most of my life I'd been closer to my mother than my father. But when Pops died it was just so final. That meant they were both gone. I half-jokingly told Phyllis I felt like an orphan. There was also some bitterness I thought I had safely ticked away that came seeping out. Some of that bitterness may have been evident the last few times we talked. Then Easter came. The service wasn't anything spectacular, nor was my pastor's sermon. But sometime that morning, I think for the first time ever, I really embraced the resurrection. I clung to it. I claimed it as mine.

Funny thing is, my dad was a tea drinker. I think he'd have loved this blog. Do you think God would let him read myspace in Heaven?

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mark for pointing me the way to this blog... I thought I was subscribed (though over subscribed and I miss a lot)....

AJ you are literally deaf and you sing like an angel? You are blessed.

Dave

Anonymous said...

one of the best blogs ever. permission requested to copy, distribute, pass on to people going through painful times. thank you thank you thank you!

Anonymous said...

First I'll say "Mark sent me"

this writing has spoken to me so deeply as I sit today, contemplating the past 2 years of my life - so much has happened, and I find myself on a dreary, rainy Thursday morning, at my desk, at work, wishing I were home with my teapot and cup ..

thank you Angela, for speaking what you hear - and Mark for guiding those who need to listen to the place where we can ..

Anonymous said...

First of all, i'm a huge tea fan...green, orange, fennel...you name it. I LOVE the way you wrote about God and tea. Simply beautiful. i'm quite glad my friend Mark sent me to your blog :o)

Anonymous said...

Mark told me to check out your blog today, and I'm glad I did. What an excellent analogy for sharing God's truth, and it's so true. I may share your blog with a friend... I think it will minister to her.

Anonymous said...

Mark sent me, too.... what an awesome "testimony"! Now, the challenge is to keep the appointment, right?

Anonymous said...

I was just going to say.... keep that appointment. :) My blessings and prayers for you.

Anonymous said...

What an absolutely beautiful blog. Thanks to Mark for pointing me in your direction. I am now craving some chamomile with vanilla (my favorite). I've never heard of Lectio Divina, but it sounds so much like my own quiet time of study and prayer. God bless...

Anonymous said...

Angela,

I'm one of the many people Mark sent here, and I am so glad he did. An outstanding blog. What a rich insight. Thank you for sharing it with us. What a wonderful way to explain and experience Lectio Divina, and to experience God through it. It's amazing the ways and times God finds to touch us.

Grace and Peace.
Reverend Blues

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking time to share. This blog is a blessing and a definite help to all who share this life's seasons.
Blessings...larry

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this great blog. My cup is coffee, but since I read this blog I prepare and drink the black broth with a changed attitude.

Anonymous said...

Tea is of course a part of God's creation, so it should not suprise us that we can find God expressed in it. Yet we so often miss such things. One of the reasons why is that in our busy hectic lives we place little value on intimate knowledge of His Creation, the kind of intimate knowdge that the tea master has. Even when nature is appreciated it is usually from a global environmental perspective. Only God can be intimate with His creation on that scale.

These are some of the thoughts I have been considering myself lately, my own cup of tea at the moment. I must say, this blog has been inspiring, thank you, and thanks to Mark for sending me over

Anonymous said...

You have a remarkable sense of word play.
For myself, I find the daily work itself prayerful.
I like the tea qualities you describe. I have a completely
different life situation, and still the same experience.
Amazing.

Anonymous said...

(Comments from Mark Clark through Tttonio have been added today from my blog on MySpace.com)